Monday, October 24, 2011

Polar Bears

Polar bears are some of the wiggliest animals - especially the young ones.
Sketching them isn't easy, and I have a lot of drawings that are ears and eyes and not much more.



We're really lucky in Toledo. Two times the female has given birth in the last 6 years and there have been roly poly cubs to watch. I drew this in pencil from a photo my husband took of the mama bear and her baby.

A polar bear keeper told me that older polar bears aren't as interested in playing - no matter how much water you give them to swim. This bear must still have been at a playful age, because he delighted in leaping into the water and watching me jump. He's rendered in colored pencil.


This final drawing is in pastel. I drew on sandpaper which makes an even bigger mess than regular paper - it chews up pastels - and spits them all over the floor.







No comments:

Post a Comment